Kyle Makes A Box Troll Mask

A few weeks back, Amazon announced that they were having a competition to promote the new Box Trolls movie. The competition was to make a costume out of an Amazon box. The price was $3000 in Amazon cards.

As someone who loves both Amazon (my wishlist is over 200 books strong at this point…. it’s becoming a problem) and cardboard (see this post , this post , this post , this post , this post , or this post for a few examples), I decided to enter.

Amazon just announced the finalists this week, and I didn’t make the cut. Insert sad face emoticon here.

But while I may not have won $3000, I did have a lot of fun, and my son really liked the costume we made together, so I wanted to share the results here.

Because this was going to be a mask for Wes (I decided to use the tried-and-true “Use your cute kid to win some votes” approach, which obviously didn’t work out, but it was worth a try), I started by building out the basic mask shape around his head. This is exactly how I start all of my masks, as you’ll know from my previous posts on the matter.

You start out with a sort of “harness” made from strips of cardboard:


Then you glue on a cylinder shape, cut out an eyehole (which in this case will actually be the mouth of the troll), and round off the top.


Next I added a smaller section to the top of the mask. This is where the troll’s eyes would end up being. I was sort of (roughly) working from a picture of the box trolls I’d found on the internet.


And no, I didn’t make Wes wear the mask the whole time while I was making it… haha! He was helping me though, so whenever it was time for a picture I would have him try it on.

Next I added the eyes, ears, and nose. These were all held on with tabs of cardboard. The ears used a couple different layers to give more of a textured effect, but this picture only shows the first layer.


Finally, I painted the thing. Afterwards, I went around the edges between the colors with a brush-tip Sharpie. This gave the mask a bit of a comic-book feel, but it really made the color differences pop a lot more.

Here’s the final mask:


Tomorrow I’ll share how I made the cardboard hands for the troll costume, and Friday I’ll show the process for making the feet.

Stay tuned!

Oh, and If you like this kind of stuff, you should sign up for my newsletter!

Once a week I send out some inspiration, cool links, and stuff that’ll help you become a better maker of things. It’s totally free, and it’s totally awesome. Sign up below!

Leave a Reply